- Ovation Award for Projection Design (Hansel & Gretel Bluegrass) (nominated)
- StageRAW Award for Projection Design (Hansel & Gretel Bluegrass)
- Ovation Award for Projection Design (Man Covets Bird)
- LA Weekly Award for Video Design (Walking the Tightrope)
- La Drama Critic's Circle Award for Projection Design (Walking the Tightrope) (nominated)
- CHRONOS PRIZE for screenwriting (Burning At Both End)
- KAIROS PRIZE for screenwriting (Under the Apple Tree)
- National Youth Arts Award for Scenic Design (nominated)
- Jerry Herman Award for Scenic Design (nominated)
- 48hr Film Festival Best Production Design (nominated)
Just who is this guy, anyway?
Matthew G. Hill is an award-winning multi-media, multi-disciplinary artist. His work spans from the stages of Europe to the silver screen of Hollywood to the printed page.
A storyteller by trade and by heart, Matt is a writer, director, designer, and illustrator based in Los Angeles. Recently, he co-wrote/co-directed the feature film BURNING AT BOTH ENDS with his long-time collaborator Landon Johnson. The script for which won the 2014 $50,000 Chronos Prize-winning script. Their other script, UNDER THE APPLE TREE, won the 2010 $10,000 Kairos Prize. As a designer, Matt has won an Ovation Award, a StageRaw Award, an LA Weekly Award, and three CSPA Gold Circle Awards. He has been nominated for a National Youth Arts Award, a Jerry Herman Award, a LA Drama Critic’s Award, and many more. He has designed over a dozen Silver and Bronze Telly Award-winning campaigns.
Matthew has served as an artist-in-residency at the National Theatre of Croatia, the Getty Villa, and the Annenberg Beach House. He is currently the associate artistic director of the Rogue Artists Ensemble, and teaches design at the University of La Verne.
"The writing team of Matthew Hill and Landon Johnson is an outstanding example of a brighter future in the industry. Not only did they win the inaugural Chronos Prize with BURNING AT BOTH ENDS, they first captured our attention with a runner up for the Kairos Prize for UNDER THE APPLE TREE. This was no small feat! They have spoken at prestigious MOVIEGUIDE events and been captivating. They are wise, witty and profound." -Ted Baehr, MovieGuide
"The director Matthew Hill deserves a lot of praise for the work... The world Mr. Hill creates is an entrancing one, full of digital imagery that will leave any audience member visually satisfied." -Fringe review for "Jason <3 Medea"
"Matthew Hill’s videos are particularly indispensable" -LA Times review of "Walking the Tightrope"
"Matt Hill's fantastic videography lights up the stage; it's a feast for the eyes" -LAWeekly review of "Songs of Bilitis"
"...a dizzying turn by video designer Matthew G. Hill" -Backstage review for "Songs of Bilitis"
"Brilliantly designed by Matthew G. Hill, no detail is left out." -LATheatre Review of "The Dumb Waiter"